Monday, November 15, 2010

CLARISSA CHACIN

Class Exercise: Pre-Paper 3

1. What will you make your principal claim in Paper 3? Whom or what are you evaluating? What criteria are you using? After reading this argument, what do you want the audience to believe, feel, or do?

I’m arguing against the unreal images illustrated in popular media and the negative effects it has on its target audience: young girls and women. I’m evaluating various images that have been found to be misleading. I’m also looking at the diseases that come out of depression and dissatisfaction with one’s body, but not ignoring the fact that to be healthy and beautiful exercise is needed. I will also look at the hyper-sexualized American culture and what girls are looking forward to in womanhood in terms of body shapes and beauty. Finally, I’m also evaluating the different approach that DOVE is taking in terms of beauty. My audience will most likely agree with me because it is a matter of health and obvious facts that surround my arguments. They will feel motivated to try out healthier ways to lose weight and feel better about their physicality.

2. Where will this argument (your argument for Essay 3) appear? In what newspaper, magazine, on what blog, website, etc.?

I decided to write this paper in academic format.

3. Based on the venue, what do you know about the audience? Do they fit a certain demographic? Do they tend towards a belief or a set of beliefs about the issue? How knowledgeable are they about the issue?

People that read my paper will most likely be educated and have some sense of health and its disciplinary conditions. They will also have a sense of the misleading images portrayed in today’s media, falsity in certain advertisements and know about what DOVE is and who the actresses I name are.

4. How will you present yourself as credible, savvy, trustworthy, amusing, etc?

I will simply make an argument and back it up with data and facts. My argument is not necessarily an opinion, rather an underlying consequence of media’s influence on women.

5. Look at one of your pieces of evidence. How does it support your argument in terms of whether your subject (whom or what you are evaluating) meets or falls short of your chosen criteria?

I have the example of Britney Spear’s photographs – which she allowed the release of the before and after retouching. It supports my argument perfectly, especially because the subject is aware of the changes her photograph will have and wants to show her audience that they are completely misleading.

6. Complete one of the following statements:

In my paper I will use examples of photographs as evidence. This sort of evidence would likely convince my audience because everyone has seen a photograph in a magazine that does not entirely convince them of being true and most people know that most women want to achieve a certain “look” following such images.

7. How will you arrange your evidence?

I will start out saying that the American culture imposes sex on girls at an early age, followed by advertisements being misleading and its harmful effects on women, finally ending with DOVE and its unique approach in the media targeting women who have been harmed (mentally and thereby sometimes physically) by former advertisements.

8. How have you acknowledged or anticipated arguments from those who would disagree with you?

I doubt that people will disagree with my argument, but I’ve presented enough evidence to support every side of a possible disagreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment